Raspberry Pi 4, CaptureGrid4

Is there some way to setup RP for download images to the network location?
I using your capturegrid_pi3_v4 image. If no, maybe in the future? I think is useless without it for me.

This is possible, but only if you manually install the snap package on the RP.

The issue is that, to access you network shared location, you need to somehow tell linux to mount that share. This is outside the scope of the CaptureGRID app running on the RP, so its something you need to configure manually yourself. Once the RP has general access to the network share, you can then configure CaptureGRID on the RP to use that as its download directory.

Whereas for the capturegrid_pi3_v4 image that we provide, setting up access to a network share is a bit harder, as you first need to connect keyboard/display to setup user access to the machine, and from then you could log in to it and configure the network share.

1 Like

Hi, thank you for your reply, i will try it with a Raspbian and snap package.

Hi Francis.

For this moment still required install CaptureGrid4 in --devmode and from edge channel?

Because i have problem that Windows PC not see Rpi4 4.10 nodes that i installed from edge channel.

For this moment still required install CaptureGrid4 in --devmode and from edge channel?

No, the latest version of the snap contains those fixes you needed for Sony cameras.
So you can switch back to using the “release” channel of the snap, and stop using the --devmode flag. Quickest way is to do:

snap remove capturegrid4
snap install capturegrid4

(and note. installing with --devmode flag stops the snap from auto-updating).

Is it mandatory after install stop Capturegrid4 service and start it with GUI to enable network connections?
Looks like after install it not enabled network connections.

Withoud --devmode Capturegrid4 can’t do any network connections.
With --devmode it can do them.

Latest Rasbian on Rpi4/4Gb.

When you install the snap, it will automatically start the background service.
This background services runs the capturegrid4 app with the following flags:

capturegrid4 --cli --grid --api

So yes, it will enable the networking mode.

Vlad, are you launching the capturegrid4 app yourself from the command line?

If you do this, remember to first stop the background service:

snap stop capturegrid4

snap install capturegrid4 not allow capturegrid4 open network connections.

snap install --devmode capturegrid4 work as service right after install and reboot wothout any problem

Vlad, what OS are you running on the pi4?
I’ll try to repro the issue here.

“Raspbian Buster with desktop and recommended software”
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get snapd
sudo snap install --devmode capturegrid4

just run snap install capturegrid same as sudo snap install capturegrid4 just ask superuser password.
and both block network connections.
btw, in all way a lot of warnings in console.

Well I figured this out now, you need to make sure the “core” snap is installed:

sudo snap install core

I’ll get the docs updated with this info.

1 Like

Looks like with core this finally working.
But with it not possible uninstall capturegrid anymore

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo snap remove capturegrid4 
Save data of snap "capturegrid4" in automatic snapshot set #1

Can you try using the --purge parameter:

sudo snap remove --purge capturegrid4

1 Like

Hi, now i have a CapureGrid4 running in Raspbian on RPi4.

When i stop the service and run GUI full version of CG4 then i can change the download path location in settings and it works with mounted network drive fine. Question is how i can change this path for the automatically starting service of CG4? Is there some text config file?

Thanks for your help.

Yes exactly, there is a text file where the app will save the options.

To check where the log file it, first look at log. To view the log of the running service:

snap logs -n=all capturegrid4

There should be a print in the logs when the app starts up, which shows the location of the options file:

[04:52:41.247      App     Info:  0] options loaded from: /root/snap/capturegrid4/42/.config/CaptureGRID 4/capturegrid4_options.json

So, first stop the app, then manually edit the “capturegrid4_options.json” file, and then restart the app.

Thank you Francis, now it works :slightly_smiling_face:

Francis i have problem with NFS file share on rpi4.

[20:46:32.174  General    Error:  5] failed to open file: /qnap/20201215-TEST/20201215-TEST-FACIAL-S001-B004/L4-60-0034.NEF
[20:46:32.174   Camera  Warning:  5] saving photo to fallback location
[20:46:32.339   Camera     Info:  5] photo saved in 165.18 ms to: /root/snap/capturegrid4/common/Pictures/CaptureGRID 4/Backup/20201215-TEST/20201215-TEST-FAC
IAL-S001-B004/L4-60-0034.NEF
[20:46:32.353   Camera     Info:  5] computed hash in 14.12 ms for photo: 20201215-TEST/20201215-TEST-FACIAL-S001-B004/L4-60-003
4.NEF - 5FE2790D

nfs file share available and have all needed permissions. i can create folders on it from root and from pi users without problem.

Hi Vlad, just catching up on this issue.
Whats the current status, did you get the NFS share working?

No. No luck.
Mount is correct and accessible from shell or midnight commander but CaptureGrid always have this error and use own backup folder to store data :frowning: