Sony a7iv unable to connect to smart shooter 5

Hi there,

I’ve currently installed SmartShooter 5 on my Intel MacBook running on MacOS 13 Ventura.

Unfortunately I’m unable to tether my Sony a7iv as it simply doesn’t connect. Bluetooth is turned off, USB connection is set to PC-Remote. The camera model doesn’t even show up within SmartShooter.
I also turned off any clouds (google drive, dropbox, etc…), in fact every other program is shut down.

Is anyone experiencing a similar problem?

thx in advance,
j.

Hi - Sorry to hear you are having issues with the connection. Most commonly, we see connection issues associated with camera settings. In particular, USB Power / Charging can be particularly problematic, so please check that this is turned off. If you are using firmware version 2.00, these are the recommended settings for the Sony a7 IV:

(Setup) → USB → USB Connection Mode: PC Remote
(Setup) → USB → USB LUN Setting: Multi
(Setup) → USB → USB Power Supply: OFF
(Network) → Cnct./PC Remote → PC Remote Function → PC Remote: ON
(Network) → Cnct./PC Remote → PC Remote Function → Still Img. Save Dest.: Dest. + Camera (Recommended only - any setting should work for tethering)

Additionally, please be sure to close all software running in the background or Menu bar. As you noted, Google Drive and Dropbox should be quit (not just syncing turned off). Additionally, please be sure any imaging software like Lightroom Classic or Sony Imaging Edge are also quit.

Finally, please also be sure to restart your computer, if you have not already done so.

Hopefully one of the suggestions above works for you, but please keep us posted if you continue to experience issue.

Ive had the exact same issue. It just wont connect with my Sony A7rV!
Its very frustrating. Im not sure if its the sony itself.
I will look forward to hearing if anyone gets it to work!

The Sony a7R V is compatible with Smart Shooter 5 and has been confirmed to work. As noted earlier in this thread, it is possible that the on-camera settings are preventing the connection. Please confirm the following settings:

(Setup) → USB → USB Connection Mode: PC Remote
(Setup) → USB → USB LUN Setting: Multi
(Setup) → USB → USB Power Supply: OFF
(Network) → Cnct./PC Remote → PC Remote Function → PC Remote: ON
(Network) → Cnct./PC Remote → PC Remote Function → Still Img. Save Dest.: Dest. + Camera (Recommended only - any setting should work for tethering)

Also, as noted above, please be sure that Google Drive and Dropbox are quit in the Menu Bar. It may also be necessary to restart the computer. Once restarted, please be sure that Google Drive and Dropbox do not automatically launch in the Menu Bar. If they do, please quit them again.

Same issue here with a Sony A7IV. All settings match what’s shown above, running latest version of Smart Shooter in trial mode, and no camera option even shows up. Made sure to close anything like dropbox and etc, restarted the computer and have tried a number of different USB cables with no luck at all sadly.

I’m sorry to hear you are having issues. If you have confirmed camera settings and quit all other software, we would expect the connection to work. If you are using the Lightroom Classic Plug-In, please always be sure to start with Lightroom Classic quit. Please be sure nothing else is running whatsoever, either as an application window or in the background.

if that still doesn’t work, I’m happy to troubleshoot with you further. to do so, please send the following details to techsupport@tethertools.com and reference the conversation on this forum.

• Type of computer you are using (please specify processor type & year):
  • Computer Operating System you are using (please provide version numbers):
  • Tethering software you are using (please provide version numbers):
  • Type of camera you are using (manufacturer & model number):
  • Type of cable you are using (please indicate length and connection type at both ends):
  • When and where you purchased your cable:
  • Type of cable management device you are using on the camera side:
  • Please indicate any adapters, hubs, extensions that are being used in this setup:
  • Under what circumstances have you been able to successfully connect (if any), please describe:
  • Please briefly describe the behavior that you are experiencing:
  • Please include any screenshots / screen recordings that may help us better understand the behavior you are experiencing.