Script for Exposure Comp bracketing or flash bracketing

Is there a script for bracketing through exposure compensation or alternatively through flash exposure compensation? I’m shooting in manual mode on a Nikon with images that are entirely flash-lit, and don’t want aperture, shutter speed or ISO to change between photos, which is how the current bracketing and HDR scripts work.
While it would be ideal to change the camera’s flash exposure compensation between shots, on Nikons in manual mode, the camera’s normal exposure compensation acts as flash exposure compensation, so it would be fine to just change the camera’s exposure compensation between images - the camera and flashes will sort it out.
Thanks for any help you can offer!
Warm wishes, Dean

Is there a script for bracketing through exposure compensation or alternatively through flash exposure compensation?

No not currently.

Adding a script for exposure compensation bracketing is simple, I can put together a script for you to try.

For flash exposure compensation, the app does not support changing this camera setting, so right now its not possible.

While it would be ideal to change the camera’s flash exposure compensation between shots, on Nikons in manual mode, the camera’s normal exposure compensation acts as flash exposure compensation, so it would be fine to just change the camera’s exposure compensation between images - the camera and flashes will sort it out.

OK, good to know!
So the exposure compensation bracketing script should be adequate.

Here is a script for exposure compensation bracketing.
To use it, click the “Load” button in the Script Controls window.

Exposure_compensation_bracket.py (902 Bytes)

Wow! Thanks Francis for the quick reply. I’ll try the script and let you know the result. Thanks again!
Dean

Hi Francis, it’s working erratically. The first time it only took one image, didn’t download it, and gave the error “the connection to the camera has been lost”. Restarted the camera, and tried again, and then it gave 2 photos, but only downloaded the first then lost connection. With another restart of the camera it’s taken and downloaded all 3 bracketed photos 3 times in a row… but the fourth time it only took one and then lost the connection again. Other scripts work OK without the disconnecting, and shooting single photos is still rock solid, so I don’t suspect the cable.
One suggestion for the script is to allow the user to set the exposure compensation difference between each photo (maybe in the range 0.3 - 5 stops). I’m personally looking for a 2-stop difference.
Thanks so much for your help with this!
Just for background so you know why - I’m helping a client with an intellectual disability to start a business camera-scanning people’s old slides. But she has difficulty focusing, and it looks like Smartshooter could be perfect for helping her get perfect focus. This bracketing function will allow her to copy old dense Kodachrome slides too. If it all works, we’ll be sure to give you a shout out in our publicity - your software is great giving Lightroom users nearly all of the benefits of Capture One. Can’t believe it’s not more well known.
Warm wishes,
Dean

OK sure, lets try to get this working reliably!

Can you give me some more details of your set up?

• Are you on Windows or Mac
  • What camera are you using
  • What Storage mode is set in the app
  • Any other camera settings you are using, that are relevant

Thanks, Francis. Tested on MacBook Pro (High Sierra) with Nikon D3 shooting raw files, with app set to Disk Mode. I can give it a go with a Mac with Mojave, and a Nikon D750 to see if anything changes.
Warm wishes, Dean

Hi Francis, an update. On MacOS Mojave, everything is working perfectly with no glitches or lost connections on either Nikon D3 or Nikon D750 (Disk mode, raw files). The script is fine - just needs an option to choose the size of the exposure compensation step between files. Some users might want to choose the direction of the bracket (zero then underexposed then overexposed is standard), or alternatively the starting exposure compensation. But other than that all good!

Hi Francis, I’m just following-up to see if you were able to produce a version of the script for bracketing via exposure compensation that lets you set the bracketing amount? Glad that it’s working on Mojave.
Warm wishes, Dean

Sorry, been busy getting the v4.9 update ready and released.

So getting back to this script:

just needs an option to choose the size of the exposure compensation step

Yes this should be possible, but note that the steps will be whatever the camera supports. So the script will not be able to offer arbitrary values to the user. Instead, it would have to offer the ability to increment by a certain number of steps, where the camera is in control of what those steps are (ie. normally 1/3 stops).