Can Smart Shooter scan existing images for QR Codes?

New Smart Shooter trial user here.

Can I use a folder of existing photos to test out the features and get things set up? It would be a pain to generate fake bar codes, set up my kit and take a bunch of unnecessary photos to see how things work.

Strangely if I click “Browse Images” in the SS5 app it just opens Windows Explorer, but not a dialog box to browse images within the app, so I’m not sure if that’s broken or if there’s some other purpose to including that option as both a button and a menu item.

Thanks for your question.

It is certainly understandable that you don’t want to take the time to generate QR codes just to see the feature in action. Therefore, please feel free to use the attached PDF of sample QR codes to test out the feature:
Sample_qr_codes.pdf (1.5 MB)

However, please note that to test the feature, you will need to photograph the QR codes with a supported camera. There are currently no other methods for ingesting the images into Smart Shooter 5.

You may also be interested in this Smart Shooter 5 tutorial which discusses the barcode / QR code feature.

The Browse images option is designed to quickly point you to the download directory that Smart Shooter 5 is using for the session, allowing you to view the images directly on your system rather than via the Smart Shooter 5 app.

Hopefully that information is helpful, but please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Take care | Be well

Thanks David.

I did end up making some QR codes and set up a basic camera kit to try things out. Your software works well when tethered, I’d suggest a few little tweaks but overall I was quite happy with it.

Unfortunately we do shoots with QR codes that are both tethered (in studio) and not tethered (outdoor). We can’t be the only ones … what do other photographers do? It doesn’t make much sense to buy two separate software suites to do the same job (importing and scanning for QR codes).

What do other photographers do? Is there another software suite you offer or recommend that can work for our company?

Thanks for the update. I’m glad to hear you were able to test out the QR code scanning feature and glad to hear things are working well.

We definitely appreciate the feedback regarding either working wirelessly and/or being able to use Smart Shooter 5 software features as part of the post-capture workflow. I’ve documented both of these requests for consideration.

Thanks!

1 Like